Monday, March 21, 2011

Equinox 2011


As a fairly new club to arrive on the NZ Warhammer Fantasy scene, one of our goals is to make a bit of an impact and a name for ourselves individually, as well as a club. Following on from Over the Top, our results at Equinox were fantastic given that we were going up against many of the best players in the country.

Well done to Dan Butler and his Daemon army! Dan placed second overall, though he sat at the top of the leader board for most of the tournament. He lost to Mal Patel in the last game 18/2. Dan is understandably disappointed, but the rest of us are very proud of his skill and effort. As he also came second at OTT, his WFB Tournament career is off to a spectacular start!

Jimmy Page took his finely tuned Tomb Kings army, and started causing ripples immediately with an 18/2 win. He competed fiercely with some very hard lists run by very experienced players and held his own very well. His crowning moment was during the Team Championship games on Saturday night where his beat the tournament champion and ETC player Mal Patel 15/5. Jimmy's army's painting was incomplete, and so he suffered in his final score, which is no indication of just how well he played with an army list that is seen by most to be very sub-par.

My own games showed me that I have some definate room for improvement! Many of the games were my first against certain armies, and I was happy to have been able to stand toe-to-toe with high-calibre players and finish in the top half. In future I am going to have to work out how to keep the game going at a faster pace, as I was only able to complete two of my games. Despite this, I learned a great deal, had a great time, and had a couple of positive comments about my army (which is always very nice). I even took home a spot prize.


Phil organised a Team Tournament Championship match on Saturday night, which Team Tronhammer (plus a Christchurch player to fill numbers) competed in. Despite making Saturday a very long day, and despite all of us except Jimmy losing to Team South (the Cantabs), we had a great time. It was a relief, however, not to come last, as Team Nerdymen convincingly defeated Team Guard by more to take first place.

A huge thanks to Phil for organising a very cool event. It is a shame GW pulled out of the prize support but I have to say that the trophies and medals, as well as the spot prizes, were first class and definately gave us something special to play for.

On a personal note, I want to thank Daryl (Big D) for another fun game. It is always an absolute pleasure to play him and definitely encourages me to attend more tournaments in the hope of meeting people like him who absolutely play to the spirit of the game, and are able to be competitive as well. I raise a stein of Bugman's finest to ya!

Looking forward, likely our next event is NiCON in Hamilton. Hopefully we can encourage more of our club-mates to participate, I for one am looking forward to it. The bigger, more air conditioned venue is another great selling point. By that time we should also have our club shirts, so we can roll the tourney's in style.

Once again, well done boys!


T

1 comment: